Changing Landscape, 1921 - 1960
The predecessor of Mentone Grammar School at Venice Street, on the day of its official opening on the corner of Stawell Street and Moorabbin (now Warrigal) Road on 21 August 1921. The headmaster of this school was John Aubrey Ball, who was supported by a group of trustees.
The official opening of Mentone Grammar School at "Frogmore" on Venice Street, under its foundation council, on 3 March 1923.
View of the oval from the north in 1933. The building on the right is the schoolhouse shown in the 1921 photograph, and now transported to the Venice Street school.
The tennis courts and surrounds as they appeared in 1941, viewed from the north. On the far side of the oval is the schoolhouse shown in the 1921 photograph.
Taken from a position on the oval, this photograph shows many of the early buildings. The old Hall can be seen in the centre of the photograph.
Dormitory living in 1942. Note the open air ventilation of 'B' Dorm which was located in the long building to the left of centre in the photograph immediately above.
The Tuck Shop in 1945 with Vic Bell behind the counter. The Tuck Shop was situated adjacent to the old Hall.
This photograph, looking towards the southeast, was taken from a position in front of the old relocated schoolhouse. At the far end of the cloisters hangs the bell and the door to the headmaster's study can be seen to the right of the bell.
Taken in the late 1950s, this photograph complements the one above as it shows a northwesterly aspect. Again the bell is visible, as is the window of the headmaster's study. The old schoolhouse stands at the far end of the cloisters. Note the presence of the retaining wall which was absent in the previous photograph.
The old Hall is the centrepiece of this photograph taken in the late 1950s from a point very near the bell and looking in a westerly direction . The main concrete walkway passes Frogmore on the right and leads to the Venice Street entrance.
These two former residences, Phillip House, furthest from the camera and Flinders House the nearer of the two, opened on to Como Parade. Phillip House was acquired by the School in 1958 and used mainly for boarder’s accommodation. Flinders House was acquired somewhat earlier and provided classrooms and Karl Duldig’s Art Room.
Also opening on to Como Parade was the stately Bourke House, which was first rented and later acquired by the School between 1946 and 1958. It housed the majority of boarders in a purpose-built addition at the rear, whilst the old section at the front became the Boarding Housemaster’s residence. It was demolished in 1984.
Another stately home turned to new purposes, "Bay View" is captured here at the Junior School Athletics Sports in 1960. Subsequently demolished, acquisition of the property allowed for the development of the Junior School on a site in close proximity to Mentone Grammar School’s Senior School campus.